Key success factors:
- Constructing an argument.
- Sustaining your case with examples.
- Showing that you have considered the opposing viewpoint.
In a well-written essay, the first sentence of a paragraph establishes what the paragraph is going to be about. This is sometimes called the topic sentence.
Using synonyms and richer vocabulary
When you are writing an essay, remember to vary and enrich your vocabulary by using synonyms where appropriate.
Giving personal opinions
I feel that ...
I believe that ...
In my view, the influences of ... are generally positive/negative ...
Personally, I think that ...
Expressing opposite arguments
Some people argue ...
It is often claimed that ...
There are those who say ...
This may have been true in the past, but nowadays ...
There are a number of flaws in this argument.
This is simple not the case.
Planning what to write
Read the essay title below:
Marrying someone from a different country will always be more problematic than marrying someone from your own country.
Decide which you think are the three most important reasons. Decide if there are any typical opposing arguments which you could refute. Write topic sentences for the main paragraphs.
When you take one side of an argument in a discursive essay, it is important to:
- Organize your essay into paragraphs, with a clear introduction and conclusion.
- Begin each paragraph with a clear topic sentence and then develop the idea.
- Use synonyms to avoid repeating yourself.
- Use a variety of phrases for giving your opinion, or introducing an opposing argument and refuting it.
- An introductory paragraph where you introduce the topic and state your opinion.
- Three or four paragraphs giving your reasons.
- If relevant, a paragraph stating a common counter argument(s), and refuting it (them).
- A conclusion, stating what your arguments have shown.
CHECK the essay for mistakes in grammar, spelling, punctuation and register.
Finally, PUBLISH your essay on this blog. 250 words.
Source: New English File Advanced. Student's Book. O. U. P.