This delicious cake is great for special occasions. Its taste reminds me of my grandmother’s recipes. Its texture is fluffy and spongy.
Besides, the pineapple flavour makes it mouth-watering.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored
· 12 maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Sift the cake flour and baking powder together.
3. Separate the eggs, put the egg yolks into a large bowl and the egg whites into a small bowl. With an electric mixer beat the egg yolks until thick and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup of the white sugar. Add the lemon and the pineapple juice. Add the sifted cake flour mixture gradually while continually beating. Beat until just blended (about 1 1/2 minutes).
4. With an electric mixer beat the egg whites with the salt until moist peaks form (about 1 minute). Gradually beat in 3/4 cup of the white sugar (about 50 seconds).
5. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter and mix until blended. Pour batter into an ungreased
10 inch tube pan. With a knife or spatula
gently cut through batter going round in circular motion six times to release
any air bubbles.
6. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 1 hour or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Invert pan on rack to cool. Once the cake is cool loosen sides with a spatula and remove it from pan. Frost the cake with whipped cream and garnish with wedges of pineapple and maraschino cherries.
Aida Fernández. B2+. Source: All Recipes.com